- November 5, 2018
- Posted by: Firoz Muhammed
- Category: Dynamics 365, MS CRM, Training
With every release of Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement(CRM) Microsoft comes up with a new version of SDK( Software Development Kit), and for the very new version of Dynamics 365, they did the same. The SDK for Dynamics 365 normally comes with a set of tools, resources, source code, and DLLs and can be download from Microsoft website.
What is SDK for Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement:
- Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement SDK contains resources and tools that help us to develop code for CRM.
- It includes different CRM APIs and helpful resources such as sample code (both server-side and client-side) and a list of tools to facilitate CRM development
- SDK contains an architectural overview of Microsoft Dynamics 365, the entity model, security model, web services, and sample code.
Since Dynamics 365 CRM v9.0 there are few changes in the process. Let’s have a look at what are those changes.
Changes with SDK for Dynamics 365 CRM V9.0
- Cannot directly download SDK from Microsoft website. Now you have to download it as Nuget packages.
- The SDK package includes only basic DLLs and tools ( No sample code, resource files etc)
- The DLLs and tools from previous SDK versions are not compatible with the present SDK version. Ex: Plugin registration tool of the previous SDK cannot connect to Dynamics 365 CE V9.0.
- The folder structure of SDK the package is also changed.
Contents of SDK package for Dynamics 365 CRM V8.2
Contents of SDK package for Dynamics 365 CRM V9.0
So because of these changes, you have to download the latest version to work with Dynamics 365 CRM v9.0
Sadly, if you searching online for Dynamics 365 SDK you wouldn’t probably get the link for SDK for Dynamics 365 V9.x, instead, you get the link for Dynamics CRM v8.2. You can access the page from the following link but you cannot directly download from the link.
Two ways you can download the latest SDK.
- Using Nuget package manager in visual studio.
- Using Powershell.
We will explain the second method.
Download Dynamics 365 CRM V9.0 SDK Using PowerShell
- Open Powershell.
- Navigate to the folder you want to install the tools to. Ex: D: devtools.
- Copy and paste the following PowerShell script into the PowerShell window and press Enter.